I thought I would take part in the January Challenge over at Wanderlust. (See side bar). The challenge was to look out your window and pick three colours (plus B & W), and use them to creatively describe January. Naturally, most of the entries, from the northern hemisphere involve Winter cold and snow and longing for Spring. Not so here down under! January (and now February), have brought nothing but extreme heat and humidity. Ah well, it is Summer, so it's to be expected, right? Yes, it is, but the heat has been of genuine heatwave proportions, with many days up around 47 C (118 F) and the major topic of conversation. Bring on Autumn.
So, my colours were bright blue, green and yellow. The sky really is that colour, and there's plenty of trees everywhere I look, but they are all a drab olive green at the moment. Ok, I don't actually see anything that's yellow, except sand at the beach (and I was there very recently), but there is something in the atmosphere which just feels yellow, (maybe it's the idea of the sun being portrayed as such, I don't know), but I just felt compelled to go with this feeling. Over everything though, is a "heat haze" phenomenon, which is actually visible. (It's most obvious where the horizon meets the sea and I've seen this quite often recently.)
I slipped in a tiny bit of pink representing the only tree nearby (crepe myrtle), that I can see that's in flower at the moment. Very pretty! There's the odd wisp of clouds but they don't amount to much, (No rain, that is ... unfortunately.)
More info : acrylic paints on 300gsm watercolour paper, water soluble graphite pencil.
Oh, and BTW, I'd rather draw faces than trees, and I'm not much good at faces, so these trees, or suggestions of trees, I should say, really stretched my artistic ability :)
Very well done you have captured what you set out to very well. Hope to see more trees being attempted as those have turned out very artistically.
ReplyDeleteThis looks even better in real life
ReplyDelete